Re: [dev] Some thoughts about XML

From: Thorsten Glaser <tg_AT_mirbsd.de>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 19:58:13 +0000 (UTC)

Szymon Olewniczak dixit:

>> s/HTML/XML+XSLT/g is quite a revolution.
>But it's something whitch I can use in my application straight away
>without forcing user to change their web browsers.

But XSLT is a joke. Have you *seen* the lengths people go through
to actually *do* anything in it?

It may have seemed a good idea when Java™ was still “write once,
run anywhere”…

>It's about whole "modern web" stack and ways we can make it better,
>without a huge revolution.

Please read up on ROCA – http://roca-style.org/ – which I kinda
like because it says your web “application” m̲u̲s̲t̲ work in Lynx,
and any CSS and, possibly, ECMAscript may o̲n̲l̲y̲ be added in an
unobtrusive way (e.g. to make things nicer, or to enable things
like interactive statistic graphs that just don’t make any sense
without, but n̲e̲v̲e̲r̲ to have any regular function of the application
depend on it). It also uses REST, which means you get your share
of the “modern web stack”.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."