Re: Tags as tags (Was: [dev] Desktop warping for DWM?)

From: Markus Teich <markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 16:32:10 +0100

Chris Down wrote:
> The reason I generally use tags-as-windows rather than tags-at-tags, for
> example, is not any one of these things, but because I don't usually have a
> need to intersect them, since what is on each tag tends to be of a different
> topic to those around it, and I am very aggressive about closing currently
> unneeded clients.
>
> I use tags-as-tags when it's more useful than tags-as-desktops. For my
> particular line of work, often the two manifest identically.

I also use both:
* Too many clients in the current tag => unselect a currently unused tag.
* Want to work with a given set of clients from different categorized tags
(one browser client from „www“-tag, one terminal emulator from „dev“-tag, …)
=> enable a generic tag in all of these clients to use this tag as a temporary
workspace. Since I don't need this too often, I stick with tags-as-tags.

--Markus