Re: [dev] [st] st does not show window name for wmctrl

From: Carlos Torres <vlaadbrain_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 15:58:31 -0500

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 09:13:08PM +0300, Alexander S. wrote:
> 2013/11/25 Carlos Torres <vlaadbrain_AT_gmail.com>:
> > On 11/25/13, Alexander S. <alex0player_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Is it definitely okay to use Xutf8TextListToTextProperty with XStringStyle?

i checked out the man page and XStringStyle is acceptable.
also st uses XmbTextListToTextProperty rather than
Xutf8TextListToTextProperty which suggests a macro check.

> Well, st once couldn't handle "umlauts" (as in, all utf-8) in title,
> which was very frustrating to use with... well, any window manager (I
> managed to configure dwm for itf-8 without using xft), and easy enough
> to fix. I get to use utf-8 quite often.

Ok, so it sounds pretty usefull to set the title as UTF8_STRING then :)

> I am ambivalent about not setting WM_NAME at all. This is a standard
> thing to set. This is a thing on which DWM can match windows, if I'm
> not mixing anything up.

the patch doesn't remove setting WM_NAME, it leaves it as is. I leave
the discussion of whether it should be utf8 or XA_String to the list. I
don't have strong feelings about it either way, and dwm prefers
_NET_WM_NAME anyway, like i suspect most other window managers will.

--Carlos