Re: [dev] gtk3 support for surf?

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 17:35:18 +0100

Greetings.

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 17:35:18 +0100 Markus Teich <markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de> wrote:
> Heyho,
>
> are there plans to port surf to gtk3, so it can be used under wayland?

That would be the first argument to support GTK3, if that’s the only way
to make it work under Wayland.

Since surf is just a userinterface to a huge bloated background I don’t
care about which libraries are used as dependency. That web crap is al‐
ready pulling in nearly the whole software industry.

In a broader perspective surf is the access interface for the suckless
world to this the‐web‐is‐the‐interface‐to‐everything software environ‐
ment. And it’s good at that.

The current speed of the web changes and the growth in suckless develop‐
ment resources correlate that we will never take over the web. In con‐
clusion: as long as this isn’t solved, a hard dependency on crap li‐
braries is given.

Are there any arguments against switching to GTK3? Otherwise I will
switch surf to GTK3 using the smootscrolling patch.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann