Re: swc library to implement dwm under Wayland (was Re: [dev] gtk3 support for surf?)

From: Bobby Powers <bobbypowers_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 09:43:03 -0500

Hello,

FRIGN wrote:
> -1) Compositor's demands:
> Not everyone has a full drm-kms-setup. Hell, I don't even use evdev
> on my devices (It's more secure when you strip out the Event Interface
> from the Kernel).

Can you explain your thinking here on security? Is it just that less
compiled code == more secure?

> -2) Code-rot:
> I know, there are libs, but who guarantees they're still around in a
> few years _and_ compatible with the still rather "dynamic" Wayland-API?
> Why not just write a Weston-plugin then? Because Weston sucks (PAM,
> overengineered, too many features for dwm, ...)!

Have you looked much at Weston? PAM integration is limited to 1 file
& 3 functions, and could be trivially excised.

> In the end, you just give up and implement it yourself, forcing you to
> maintain thousands of LOC, risking bugs and wasting your time.

How is this different from the tinyx project you mentioned? Ah,
right, you like tinyx.

yours,
Bobby