Re: swc library to implement dwm under Wayland (was Re: [dev] gtk3 support for surf?)

From: Michael Forney <mforney_AT_mforney.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 22:08:21 +0000

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 20:41:40 +0100, Hadrian Węgrzynowski <hadrian_AT_hawski.com> wrote:
> EGL as API is quite lean. There could be small implementation not
> depending on Mesa 3D.
>
> Is there another problem with EGL?

EGL is fine, but it implies an implementation of OpenGL, which would be
quite complicated to implement.

> I am just curious:
> 1. Can Wayland clients use just simple blitting without special kernel
> infrastructures?

Yes, there is an interface wl_shm in the core protocol which allows
clients to create a shared memory buffer, render to it by whatever means
it wants, and then pass the file descriptor to the server.

> 2. Can Wayland Compositor work without special kernel infrastructures?

The protocol allows it, but at some stage your screen buffer needs to
get scanned out to your monitor, which requires some sort of kernel
interface.

> 3. Are Wayland clients using evdev or is it just for server?

Just the server. Clients receive input events via the wl_keyboard and
wl_pointer interfaces.

> 4. Does anybody know how good is pixman library (AFAIK software renderer
> used by Weston)?

I've found that while it isn't documented that well, it is very useful
and well optimized (from what I can tell). Text rendering was a bit
tough to get working because you have to do glyph arrangement and
rendering yourself (probably using FreeType).

--
Michael Forney <mforney_AT_mforney.org>