Re: [dev] ncurses or ...

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 08:52:07 +0100

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 09:35:07 +0200
Dimitris Zervas <dzervas_AT_dzervas.gr> wrote:

> I didn't know about libvitapi. I'll check it.
> About line editors: COME ON.

Line editors have their uses once you work with them a bit more.

> About compatibility/portability: I want the library to work for me. I don't care about anyone else. So it's gonna be compatible with xterm and st. Not even urxvt!

Even with st, we have so many different modes (256-color and the like).
It would be convenient to write just one solution, but who knows how
it's going to end up as a project?
From what you say, why don't you just take termbox and write a proper
Makefile-bases build-system for it?

> I don't know if it has to be graphical or text.
> What do you think (and why).

I think it should allow biggest flexibility, nothing more ;).

Another thought: There are places around where TGUIs make sense, for
example with the Linux-kernel and all its interdependent
config-parameters.
However, in many cases ncurses is being misused for trivial stuff
without offering services through standard-interfaces, ultimately
breaking the Unix-philosophy.

I recommend anybody to read "The Unix Programming Environment" who
hasn't yet, as it will answer many questions perennially brought up in
this mailing list regarding "new" ideas.

Go buy it! I'll wait.

Cheers

FRIGN

--