Re: [dev] hotkey (1) - a suckless global keybinder

From: Michael Hauser <awarewater_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 00:51:13 +0100

Calvin Morrison writes:

------------8<--------------8<----------

> and here it is:
>
> $ cat modal.sh
> list="firefox
> chromium
> xterm
> xterm -e mocp"
> v=0
> `for i in $list; do echo $v" "$i; v=$(($v+1)); done | dmenu -l 5 |
> sed 's/^[0-9] //g'`
>
> now it has some kinks, the whole for i in whatever in bash doesn't
> work quite properly becaue it works on spaces and newlines... not sure
> what to do about that. but i am sure there's a bash way to do it.

Yay thx, I have a simillar hack in 'production', that run-or-raises
apps, tmux windows, browser tabs, etc…

But I really think this should be the job of the one and only minimal
keybinding utility.

With my dmenu scripts I always have to pause myself to not run into some
weired race condition, where dmenu takes it's own time to accept the
keys I hit, after dropping them to the active client…

also: the additional Enter/Return in dmenu seems unefficient.

Generally a great approach, but not in the long term.

cheers, mih

--
'aware water' is an anagram for 'we are at war'