Re: [dev] Article about suckless on root.cz

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 10:51:24 +0000

Quoth Anselm R Garbe:
> So if stali wants to be some serious alternative to the expert
> computer user, there is no space for w3m-ng style browsers
> capabilities.

I agree that there is a need for a browser which provides a useable
interface to a sucky but "complete" engine.

I also would like a nice interface for an HTML renderer which was
actually sane, for the websites that are actually sane.

FRIGN, your idea of a rendering engine that deliberately chooses
standards that aren't mad is fine, but the issue is more who would
want to write and maintain that? Any rendering engine is going to
take a lot of time and energy to write, and I for one want to stay
far away from such endeavours for the sake of my sanity. So I'd
suggest just writing a shim around netsurf's technology, if you want
a reasonably "sane subset" of a rendering engine.

From a useability point of view, by far the best thing I've done
w.r.t. the web in the past year has been setting 'static Bool
enablescripts = FALSE;' in surf. That and using a newsreader and
mail client more than a web browser. Oh, and books.

The modern web is useful because many of us use it to get paid, so
an interface to it is handy. But it's inherantly and unavoidably
horrible, really.

Some day I'll get to the end of an email about the web without it
getting all ranty... Maybe.