Re: [dev] XML vs HTML (was: Article about suckless on root.cz)

From: Charlie Kester <corky1951_AT_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 14:53:22 -0800

On Fri 21 Feb 2014 at 13:15:24 PST Hadrian W?grzynowski wrote:

>Even if it would work, I think that web shouldn't be pixel-perfect,
>because we could just use some glorified-PDFs. It's utter nonsense
>that correct rendering of page is depending on some specific font and
>specific font size. It's utter nonsense to not restrict paragraph
>length (at 80 characters or something). It's utter nonsense to assume
>that everyone is using maximised browser window at 1080p.

I'm an old fart who never got into web programming, so forgive me if
this is a stupid question: isn't the rise of smartphones and other
mobile platforms forcing people to abandon those assumptions about the
screen sizes they're working with? (As, for example, epub vs pdf.)

Or is the trend to create a separate, "mobile" version of the page,
which simply changes the assumption to some smaller screen size?

Or are people just ignoring the problem altogether?