Re: [dev] tmux/screen alternative

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 15:07:08 +0100

On 22 February 2014 14:51, Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 14:51:16 +0100 Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 22 February 2014 14:42, Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps this will be achieved in the future. The st formatting was
>> also thought to provide a "text mode" like interface, but a
>> *graphical* one. As most people do use graphical environments these
>> days...
>>
>> I hope this sheds some light into the direction I'm looking when
>> asking those really basic questions ;)
>
> St does what it should do: Being a simple terminal emulator. What you
> want is leading into the direction of replacing the web. This should be
> a different project – sw (simple web).

heh, at least something like this needs to be on the agenda of
suckless. It is one of the most important projects to be achieved. And
it would close the gap to non-text mode / non-terminal environments
that have become so popular nowadays. There needs to be a statement
and solution from suckless in a sense: this is the way how suckless UI
principles become alive on all those backwards oriented Apple/Android
and Windows UIs.

The approach I described scales towards all those environments and
would provide a real alternative. People do really hard stuff these
days to create "great" UIs. It has to be simple again, to create a UI,
like it used to be in the old text mode world, or even better, it
should be so simple to provide a tool for a specific task like using
read() and write(). Imagine a modern touch environment being exploited
by something like this what you call sw.

-Anselm