Re: [dev] Backspace (was: st stutter and freeze ...)

From: Roberto E. Vargas Caballero <k0ga_AT_shike2.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 20:05:20 +0200

> > No answer? Anyone have anything to say? It is a big change, and
> > if nobody say anything then I will change it.
>
> Don't top post.

Christoph, you know that I never top post, I hate it, but in this case,
the mail was a reminder of my own previous mail, so I did a top post in
order to allow people can read it again. All the rules have always an
exception ;).

But forgive about it, and let's talk about the important topic, the
BACKSPACE - DELETE issue

> I don’t have any case which interferes with this. So apply it.

Recently an user comunicate me a problem with meta, that in some conditions
doesn't send escape. After digging a bit, the problem was meta + Backspace due
to next line of config.def.h:

        { XK_BackSpace, XK_NO_MOD, "\177", 0, 0, 0},

This line was converting BACKSPACE into DELETE when no modifer was present,
but in the rest of cases BACKSPACE was not converting to anything, so it
was retaining as BACKSPACE, and in the case of meta, the next output was
generated:

        \033\010

An ESCAPE character and a BACKSPACE character. It is easily fixed with:

- { XK_BackSpace, XK_NO_MOD, "\177", 0, 0, 0},
+ { XK_BackSpace, Mod1Mask, "\033\177", 0, 0, 0},
+ { XK_BackSpace, XK_ANY_MOD, "\177", 0, 0, 0},

But the real problem is the translation between BACKSPACE and DELETE, so
if we only remove the line we solve both problems fixed (of course and modify
the terminfo definition).

Regards,

--
Roberto E. Vargas Caballero