Re: [dev] suckless distro

From: Sylvain BERTRAND <sylware_AT_legeek.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 14:57:30 +0200

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 02:13:15PM +0200, FRIGN wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 14:05:20 +0200
> Sylvain BERTRAND <sylware_AT_legeek.net> wrote:
>
>> Using a makefile is overkill. Should be a sh script.
>
>> Makefiles should be used only when there are too many source
>> files to recompile for a build increment.
>
> Are you serious?

100%. It's not suckless to use a makefile if recompiling all
source files takes little time. The main purpose of makefiles is
to cherry pick what to recompile on large projects in order to
minimize build time. Pointless and technically expensive for
small project SDKs, period.
I started to remove makefiles from my SDKs. Because all are small
(except the radeon GPU driver which is a linux module).
I stole parts of the ffmpeg configure script for my
needs.

>> Not a fan of the licence, will still use my udev fork, but nice
>> seeing alternatives.
>
> Anything is better than the bloody (L)GPL you are using.

:)

We disagree on the license. I think exactly the other way around.
Nothing new here...

--
Sylvain