Re: [dev] Plain text editor that sucks less - an alternative to VIM?

From: Charlie Kester <corky1951_AT_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 09:50:33 -0700

On Sun 29 Jun 2014 at 07:43:36 PDT Aapo Vienamo wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 03:00:32PM +0300, Dimitris Zervas wrote:
>> 2. Fantastic syntax highlighting
>This may be considered harmfull in general. [0]
>
>[0] http://www.linusakesson.net/programming/syntaxhighlighting/

Thank you for this link! I agree with most of the points made there,
including the one making an exception for comments. The only syntax
coloring I use is to display comments in a darker gray than normal text,
so they fade into the background, as it were.

But I decided long ago that using different colors for types, keywords,
braces, function names, etc. just creates a garish effect that I don't find
aesthetic or helpful.

I use vim, despite its weight, because I grown used to using its text objects.
I also have a fondness for vim-outliner. But I don't use any of the other
available plugins, because I think it sucks less and is more Unixy to pipe
text through external commands.

I probably should give neovim a try.