Re: [dev] Plain text editor that sucks less - an alternative to VIM?

From: Weldon Goree <weldon_AT_langurwallah.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 17:02:20 +0530

On 07/02/2014 04:39 PM, FRIGN wrote:

> What I noticed is that the code I write without syntax-highlighting is
> easier to read if you look at it with syntax highlighting than
> comparable code written with SH and then looked at without.

Depends on the language, I guess. I do a lot of stuff in Forth (robotics
is a hobby of mine) and I'm not even sure what "syntax highlighting"
would be in that case -- I guess parsing words could be one color and
non-parsing words another? I like it in verilog, though. In LISP I'm
kind of indifferent; it's much more important that an editor can balance
sexps than anything else.

One thing I do like in any language is having comments displayed in a
distinct color. I find that very useful. Also string literals. I guess I
prefer a "scanner highlighting" to "parser highlighting", if that's a
meaningful distinction.

Weldon