Re: [dev] Plain text editor that sucks less - an alternative to VIM?

From: Lee Fallat <ircsurfer33_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 10:49:48 -0400

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Ryan O’Hara <rninty_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 7:30 AM, Lee Fallat <ircsurfer33_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Agreed. But I'm often reading someone else's code and they're not
>>> always so considerate.
>>>

>> Why would the former be more error-prone? Or even harder to read?...In
>> my opinion they both have equal readability.
>>
>> The only issue I have with syntax highlighting is that many people
>> rely on it to know if what they're typing is correct syntax (which
>> means people have no idea what they're doing- in a sense training
>> wheels), and to visually scan source (why scroll through the entire
>> source looking for function f() when you can just run ctags or a
>> similar tool?). As people have pointed out too, compilers will usually
>> tell where you've made a mistake in syntax.
>>

> Quick, tell me whether /^http:(\/\/(?:[^/]+\/)+[/]final)$/ parses in Ruby.
> How about in JavaScript?
>
> The answer is obvious if you know your language and are able to do a
> quick scan through the literal, but syntax highlighting removes the
> effort entirely.

You make a very good point. The thing with regular expressions though
is people usually take a good minute or more to craft them (not
something like [0-9], but more like the example you gave). I would say
yes that parses in Ruby (if I was reading the code), because it was
there already. It's too bad though that the assumption all code works
as intended (or at all) is wrong...