Re: [dev] [scron] simple cron daemon

From: Dimitris Papastamos <sin_AT_2f30.org>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 16:57:46 +0100

On Sun, Jul 06, 2014 at 09:33:29AM -0500, Bigby James wrote:
> I can't speak for Dzen, but the wording of your first message in the thread gave
> me the same impression. We basically have two messages in the discussion thread
> to work with: One from the original author anouncing the project, and one from
> you a couple days later telling everyone you've forked the project and patches
> should be sent your way instead of vice versa. No feature requests, no bugs
> mentioned---just "send me patches."

There was a feature request. It was about implementing */n support.
For those who want to see what was fixed can check the git logs of my fork.

I don't even remember if at the time Ari had actually already discontinued
the original project. All I know is that he came back to the mailing list
very shortly after that and posted the implementation of the missing feature.
That's what I call dedication.

> The fact that a private discussion took
> place regarding the future of the project isn't mentioned, and without that
> context it can appear as though you're taking over someone else's project
> without cause.

It is licensed under MIT/X. I don't see the issue here. You can
compare the code and decide for yourself if it was without a cause. I can't
take over his project, it is his decision to discontinue the original code.

I don't see Ari whining over this, so why would you care? If you care about
the project and the direction it is taking, then start a technical discussion or
even better demonstrate your ideas with patches!

I am not here to satisfy all your needs or even provide context that I deem
unnecessary. Some of us are already undertaking too much work for the suckless
cause.

Cheers,
sin