Re: [dev] Looking for simple, alpha supporting image format

From: Samuel Holland <samuel_AT_sholland.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 14:10:31 -0500

On Fri, 2014-07-18 at 20:57 +0200, FRIGN wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2014 13:45:50 -0500
> Samuel Holland <samuel_AT_sholland.net> wrote:
>
> > Then put it after the magic string. And they don't have to be
> > characters; they can be one-byte integers, which would be better
> > anyway. My point is that the format shouldn't be limited to just 8888,
> > especially if you're concerned with file size, so the header should
> > specify the bits per channel somewhere.
>
> I can see your motivation, but this is way too complex.
> If you have no alpha-channel, the compression will take care of that,
> because the pattern is really simple (every fourth is a 0, xxx0).

That does make sense now. By reducing the entropy of the data, it
compresses better, even without removing bits from the uncompressed
version (which isn't used where space matters anyway). It's the same
principle as LossyWAV[0], though even more effective.

[0] http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=LossyWAV

--
Regards,
Samuel Holland <samuel_AT_sholland.net>