Re: [dev] [st] St does not work with urwid

From: Roberto E. Vargas Caballero <k0ga_AT_shike2.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 07:49:05 +0200

> When I try to run a python program that uses urwid[1] to provide a
> curses ui is, strange things happen. All the text is messed up, which
> continues after exiting the program. A comment in the AUR verifies that
> someone else has had the same problem.[2] This does not happen in st
> 0.4.1.
> To reproduce this bug, run any program that uses urwid, such as
> wicd-curses.

I can see that the problem is that the charset is shifted to the
graphic set. After using git bisect I can see that the offend
commit is 7a4eefe, that basically add support for G0 and G1.

After running wicd-curses, I can see that it print ^[)0, that means
shift G0 to the graphic charset, so I think st is making the correct
here. Another point is the terminfo definition. I can see that we have
enacs and smacs with '\E(0', so I am not sure what sequence wants to
send wicd-curses, and in fact I don't know exactly the difference between
them:

        - enacs: enable alternate char set
        - smacs: start alternate char set

I will take a look to my terminfo book later at home, but I think this is
a problem related to the implementation of urwid.

Regards,

--
Roberto E. Vargas Caballero