Re: [dev] surf rewrite for WebKit2GTK

From: Daniel Camolês <bigatojj_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 16:29:58 -0200

When the choice you have is between 500k or 2 million lines of code,
it hurts to call anything suckless. I think the web needs a serious
reboot. It started out as a markup language for presentation-only, and
then it was morphed through a convoluted series of additions into an
application distribution plataform. The browser is the dumb terminal
of our days. Today the web browser is the most awful piece of software
I need to use. I dream with the day when the Internet will be built
around a model simple and generic enough that a reasonable programmer
will be able to code a complete "browser" in a month of work or so.

Am I alone? Is there any hope out there?

Document distribution seems easy. Hyperlinking was an wonderful idea,
but it's not complicated. But when it comes to application
distribution. By application distribution I mean, when we want to
develop and maintain software in a central location and enable several
users with a generic client to use it. I know that we have ssh and
mainframe terminal applications, but those are not something most
people are willing to use.

Answering your question about netsurf, I think the point is that it
doesn't currently run javascript. I think that is good thing, but most
site developers in the world doesn't. Also, netsurf developers also
intend to implement javascript at some point. But today for a lot of
sites you have to stick with one of the three main rendering engines.