Re: [dev] [dvtm] Truecolor support

From: Hayaki Saito <user_AT_zuse.jp>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 01:49:04 +0900

Hi,

> printf "\x1b[38;2;255;100;0mTRUECOLOR\x1b[0m\n"

I think this truecolor control sequence is not suckless.

Although I had already mentioned about this feature (konsole-style true color support) on some places with my bad English, now I try to say my opinion repeatedly in other words.

Please don't break backward compatiblity of VT emulators.
It's considered that there is safe way to extend terminal control sequence.
We should follow it.

Non-practical argue about terminal specification is bored thing for most people.
But it is really important thing for the future of terminal.
I wish you won't add more bad habits to terminal world.

Above my opinion might be not constructive, so now I propose alternate sequences:

I recommend a recall of Konsole style truecolor control seqences, and propose to change them as follows:

 CSI 38 Pr ; Pg ; Pb m -> CSI ? Pr ; Pg ; Pb $ m
 CSI 48 Pr ; Pg ; Pb m -> CSI = Pr ; Pg ; Pb $ m

These are well-formed CSI sequences in view of ANSI X3.64/ECMA-48/ISO-6429, and they don't conflict with existing reserved sequences as far as I see bjh21's all-escapes.txt.
http://bjh21.me.uk/all-escapes/all-escapes.txt

I'm happy if above proposal would be accepted because my terminals and some my tools can ignore them properly by considering ISO-6429.

Regards.

-- Hayaki Saito