Re: [dev] rebooting the web (it was: surf rewrite for WebKit2GTK)

From: Sylvain BERTRAND <sylware_AT_legeek.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 16:46:36 +0100

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 03:31:44PM +0100, Christoph Lohmann wrote:
> What's needed for the next steps:
> * Someone who knows any of the popular web rendering engines very well
> and can modify them without ending up in psychiatry.

Game over. There are only 2.5 "popular" and "usuable" open source www engines,
webkit, blink (webkit-ish) and gecko.
Those are far beyond the limit of sanity as those are brain damaged c++
object-oriented massive kludge.

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 03:31:44PM +0100, Christoph Lohmann wrote:
> * The rendering engine needs to be modified to be reused for the
    points below.

As I said before, after a little chat with one of the main netsurf dev, the
current complexity of the web is due to javascript/the dynamic dom.

> Anyone steps up?

I would rather define which www sites are "critical" and go push hard for a
0-javascript basic html www portal and/or a *simple* web API (not OAuth which
requires the use of one of the previous www renderers). I'll go to trial if I'm
ignored.

regards,

--
Sylvain