[dev] proposal to use mdoc(7)

From: Dimitris Papastamos <sin_AT_2f30.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 18:25:27 +0000

Hi everyone,

I'd like to hear your opinion on mdoc(7). I've already started
converting the sbase manpages to the mdoc language. As an example
compare the converted grep[0] to the older grep[1].

The mandoc(1) tool also has the ability to convert from mdoc(7)
to man(7) by doing mandoc -Tman grep.1.

I found this paper[2] to be a very good introduction to the mdoc
language and the implementation of mandoc(1) on OpenBSD. Of course mdoc
has been around for 2 decades or so I think it makes formatting
more intuitive, simpler and flexible.

I am planning to convert the st manpage to mdoc as a first step.
Any objections or thoughts?

Cheers,
Dimitris

[0] http://git.suckless.org/sbase/tree/grep.1