Re: [dev] st patches and clipboard issues

From: CustaiCo <custaico_AT_openmailbox.org>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 04:36:47 +0000

On Fri, Jan 02, 2015 at 10:22:52PM -0500, Philip Rushik wrote:
> > did you try enabling the "Elevated" mode in the client (should be
> > selectable at the bottom of the main window)?
>
> Nope, because it's not a Windows machine, both machines are Linux.
>
> I did however get a chance to do a little debugging, although I wasn't
> about to learn much. I discovered that when synergy owns the
> selection, it seems to always have the property member of the
> selectnotify event set to None, while other applications do not.
> However, I also notice that after that first successful paste into st,
> st no longer receives selectnotify events.

What's probably happening then is that synergy is not replying to the
request to convert the clipboard to the format that it wants. The paste
function calls XConvertSelection.

The XSelectionEvent having a property of None either indicates that either
the X server thinks that there is no owner for the property or that the
conversion to the format that was requested failed.

Looking at the source for synergy, there are a few possible reasons why
it would fail to respond to a request. Luckily, those reasons should be
easy to discern because there it calls the LOG function with a level of
CLOG_DEBUG1 when it gets a request and also when it fails to reply to a
request for whatever reason; often it even tells you why it failed to
reply to a request.

My suspicion is that synergy doesn't think it owned the clipboard at the
time that was requested, which is always CurrentTime when st sends the
request.

CustaiCo