Re: [dev] Re: [dwm] Most fonts do not work

From: Dmitrij D. Czarkoff <czarkoff_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 21:32:38 +0100

Joshua Krämer said:
> I have figured it out myself: the non-working fonts are available with
> utf8 encoding only, but dwm (without Xft patch) does not support utf8.

Sorry, but this doesn't make any sense.

Firstly, dwm "supports" utf-8 without any patches. (Although I don't
normally use non-ASCII with dwm, I specifically tried now setting
WM_NAME to "привет", and it worked just fine.)

Next, utf-8 is not font encoding, so it can't influence font rendering.
Utf-8 is responsible for set of glyphs that is displayed, but not for
fonts.

Most likely, your problem is with missing font metadata. See
mkfontscale(1) and mkfontdir(1) for details. Alternatively, you may
have your font path wrong; see xset(1). But utf-8 has definitely
nothing to do with your issue.

--
Dmitrij D. Czarkoff