Re: [dev] [dwm] [dmenu] The Xft situation

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 20:32:57 +0100

On Wed, 4 Mar 2015 20:27:14 +0100
Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Anselm,

> I'm not opposed in switching fully to Xft. Xfonts are a mess as well.
>
> Though I'd really like to base st/dwm/dmenu on libsl/drw.c
>
> Point is dmenu/dwm are easy ones, problem is st, which uses quite
> sophisticated font/glyph handling.
>
> With this, dmenu/dwm/st would not directly depend on Xft/fontconfig,
> but on drw only. Then it depends on the drw-implementation what it
> uses internally. The drw-interface must expose something
> Xft-independent of course in order to achieve this.

this sounds like a very good long-term-goal to achieve, so don't get
me wrong, but libsl has been announced at slcon1 and there hasn't been
lots of public activity since then.
There are lots of people coming on IRC every day asking about an issue
with dwm or dmenu font-handling so I had rather envisioned this change
to be effective in the very near future to adress these problems,
though a libsl with drw.c is the holy grail. ^^

Cheers

FRIGN

--
FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>