Re: [dev] surf release?

From: Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 16:26:10 -0400

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015, at 03:31 PM, Jack L. Frost wrote:
> 1) How do I know if a certain tag is stable enough to use? Do I just take
> the
> current HEAD? Do I spend my time extensively testing a few latest tags to
> figure out if they are stable or not?

I assume by tag you mean commit because we are discussing a lack of
tags. Ask the developer(s) about which commit is considered stable. Or
use the current HEAD. Both are reasonable options (for a suckless
project, not saying that using current HEAD would be good for other
projects). It's up to you how you want to spend your time, but I
certainly don't think there is any *need* for you to do any testing to
determine what is stable, when you can just ask the developer(s) and/or
use the current HEAD. You could also, if you want to be very
conservative, use the latest tag, which in surf was 0.6 on 2013-02-10.

I am not a surf developer with any authority (I guess I am technically a
surf developer since I submitted 2 minor patches, but I have no power or
authority at all), but as a surf user, I would be happier with the
packaged version being the current HEAD at time of packaging.

--
http://www.fastmail.com - A no graphics, no pop-ups email service