Re: [dev] surf release?

From: Alex Pilon <alp_AT_alexpilon.ca>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 19:51:23 -0400

On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 10:28:40AM -0600, Anthony J. Bentley wrote:
> Suckless has settled on the wrong solutions for years. Case in point:
> customizing software by compiling it.

Seriously? Compiling dwm or st takes less than a second, sucks a lot
less (in of itself, without regard for context) than building your own
parser for some config language, when you already have one in the form
of a C compiler.

> How often do you recompile mv, cp and rm?

False analogy. These are not meant to be customized. They do (or should)
do one job, well, and be orthogonal. No need.

> Even compiling your kernel is something that should be discouraged.

Debatable. Not everybody needs or wants a glut of features exposed by
the distro stock config, like half a dozen MACs. Anyhow, keeping up with
the stable queue yourself is not such a bad idea if your distro doesn't.
That and out of tree patches to make the block elevator suck less,
adding support for hardware not yet supported by even mainline, etc.

> Customization, knobs, conditional compilation... all of these things
> are anti-Unix.

So it's anti-UNIX for me to bump the border width font size up because
my vision is terrible?

What if I want some blue and orange dwm because the stock choice
pale-ish blue and grey (in the 5.x days) is in humble my opinion ugly?

Regards,

Alex Pilon