Re: [dev] [surf] Firefox's tracking protection

From: <tautolog_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 01:11:09 -0700

Surf-isolated is just my personal branch. It is not official in any way. I am not a surf developer myself, other than having a few trivial commits make it into the official surf. I have no commit access, and I am not the maintainer. However, I answered your question because I am familiar with these aspects with respect to surf.

In my branch, each process only deals with one origin domain, and that is meant to isolate at a process memory space level. ‎Also, each origin domain gets its own browser profile, so cache data on disk is also isolated, but not by chroot or anything special. I just prefix the paths.

The difference between my branch and the main branch is just a set of commits that implement the privacy features I am experimenting with. It is not productized beyond making the git repo public. My purpose is a proof of concept of an approach. It is less about what happens to the code. For me, it started from a discussion in the firefox bugzilla, and I found surf, and spent a couple weeks getting a proof of concept going.

People here are very helpful when the question is explicit. Show the build error, and you will likely get pointers. Are you having issues building my branch or the official branch?

I am not really sure about Tor, as I don't use it. I suppose what you are doing there is fine.

By tracking within a site, I mean that my design is just meant to isolate data between origin domains, to properly implement the "same-origin policy" in a browser. So with my design, your behavior within an origin domain is still fully exposed. For example, wikipedia is a very large site. You can still be tracked going from page to page, and having a profile built from that, but if your IP is obscured, it may be difficult for that wikipedia profile to be tracked back to something else more meaningful. I don't try to separate each request from the next, although that is another level of isolation that may be desirable for some people. I just don't want anyone expecting too much. ‎My concern is more to deal with advertising/dragnet style tracking, not the one-off targeting that might be done against an activist. I know about ad tech, not sigint, so I can't really say much there.

Ben