[dev] Re: [hackers] [dwm] Patch to confirm Shift-Alt-Q

From: Ian D. Scott <ian_AT_perebruin.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 15:32:29 -0700

On Sat, Aug 08, 2015 at 08:36:30PM +0200, Markus Teich wrote:
> Eric Pruitt wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 08, 2015 at 05:39:55PM +0200, Quolick wrote:
> > > When I press Shift-Alt-Q, all windows killed without any confirmation.
> > > Is there any patch to add some king of dialog box?
> > > Maybe two menu items in the bar (like dmenu does) "OK", "Cancel"?
> >
> > You could make Shift+Alt+Q launch a shell script instead. Maybe
> > something like this:
> >
> > zenity --question --text 'Are you sure you want to exit?' && pkill -x dwm
>
> Heyho Quolick,
>
> isn't the hardness of pressing shift-alt-q confirmation enough? It may seem
> weird switching from a sucking environment like gnome where everything has to be
> confirmed, but try it out without the dialog.
>
> Also your two questions do not fit in hackers_AT_ (they do not contain patches or
> discussions about patches), use dev_AT_ for further questions.
>
> --Markus

I personally have a dmenu script bound to mod1+shift+q, which has
options for lock, exit, shutdown etc. It requires that it is called by
dwm so it knows what process to kill. This is more suckless than the
zenity solution (dmenu) and provides more functionality than just a
confirmation. Perhaps it is of use.

https://gist.github.com/ids1024/b2501336c23b1785c38c