Re: [dev] simple rss to email

From: Hiltjo Posthuma <hiltjo_AT_codemadness.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 22:10:56 +0200

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 9:40 PM, Thuban <thuban_AT_yeuxdelibad.net> wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi!

> I asked a few time ago some advice for a suckless feed reader. Hiltjo
> answered with sfeed [0] and there was this [1] from Patrick on the list.

Thanks for mentioning sfeed. If you have feedback why sfeed sucks feel
free to mail me or poke me on IRC, I would be interested to hear.

> Because rss2email was too heavy for me, I tried to gather previous work
> and finally wrote srss [2]. For now, it's just shell scripts to retrieve
> feeds and then send thems with mail.
> Tools used are xmlstarlet, wget (or curl if you prefer) and html2text
> (well...)
>
> It's far from being perfect, but it works pretty well, and I wanted to
> thank Hiltjo and Patrick.

I recently added sfeed_mbox as a formatting program for this kind of
workflow (or to just use mutt as a UI :)). Ofcourse from mbox you can
do further processing. The README of sfeed describes how.

> Feel free to hack and give any advice to improve srss.
>
> Regards,
>
> [0] : http://www.codemadness.nl/sfeed-simple-feed-parser.html

Btw the link on this page were outdated (my fault ofcourse) so I
updated it. A more recent version of sfeed is available at:
http://git.codemadness.org/sfeed/ . I am still working on it (but also
just using it daily).

> [1] : http://lists.suckless.org/dev/1110/9813.html
> [2] : http://git.yeuxdelibad.net/srss/