Re: [dev] paste_AT_

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2015 16:00:01 +0100

Greetings.

On Fri, 06 Nov 2015 16:00:01 +0100 Martti Kühne <mysatyre_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Reading what hiro had to say about the topic makes it sound as if we
> just needed a wiki "pastebin" section that has built-in "archiving"
> (git rm) feature that builds on git's built-in feature of preserving
> history.
> Maybe we could write clients that don't give a shit whether such an
> entry was archived and BAM - problem solved?

Yes, that’s a good proposal. Then all available Unix tools can be used
to sort, find duplicates and make some order. Maybe it could be a dif‐
ferent git repository to avoid overlapping merges. There could be still
discussions on hackers_AT_ about pastes. A web interface could satisfy
the hipsters fraction and Google.
By having a separate repository it could run without moderation. Only
a file limit restriction would be needed. If things go wrong, remove the
repository. By still sending changes to hackers_AT_ we have some control
over abuse.

The problem here is a bit the Wikipedia problem: I would like to setup
my own Wikipedia mirror but PHP and some ugly SQL backend are keeping me
away from it. There is no sane data export available but SQL dumps. If
Wikipedia would be some public git repository it would be easier to have
overlays by using something like the unionfs and running the common wiki
web interface on top of this new directory. That seems easier than hav‐
ing some SQL database doing an inefficient sync every month. And it
doesn’t add the PHP dependency. This problem adheres to the web and its
cruft we need to solve.

Everything should be a git repository nowadays? Hammer time!

Btw., I like the IoB (Internet of Bunkers) idea: BaaS (Bunker as a Ser‐
vice)

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann

"We must make a distinction between the enemy and ourselves, and we must
not adopt an antagonistic stand towards comrades and treat them as we
would the enemy. In speaking up, one must have an ardent desire to pro‐
tect the cause of the people and raise their political consciousness,
and there must be no ridiculing or attacking in one’s approach."
     ‐‐Mao Tse Tung (Ibid. p. 20.*)