Re: [dev] a suckless hex editor

From: Nico Golde <nico_AT_ngolde.de>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 19:54:07 +0100

Hi,
* Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu> [2015-11-13 18:33]:
> What do you think? I was afraid to overwrite the infile so I make the user
> specify an outfile. Maybe if I did better error checking it would be okay
> to overwrite?

I'm sorry to be blunt, but this is not a suckless hex editor, but a poor mans
hex editor that's barely useful for any real work in my opinion. I mean it may
work fine for changing a single byte here or there and look at dumps, but it's
not much more useful then dd or hd for that sake imho.
I think to the very minimum, a proper hex editor should have the capability to
show both hex and ascii in parallel, work well with large files, provide
useful searches, and provide support for templates. Everything else is just a
toy.

Cheers,
Nico
--
Nico Golde - XMPP: nion_AT_jabber.ccc.de - GPG: 0xA0A0AAAA