Re: [dev] [bugs] st clears up upon resize and other little things

From: Matthew of Boswell <mordervomubel+suckless_AT_lockmail.us>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 15:24:56 -0500

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 10:53:30 -0200
Brad Luther <bradkluther_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I found 3 behaviors on st that I believe to be bugs and not intended
>
> 1 - when you open st and some strings printed (try 'ls' for example),
> upon resizing it down and resizing it back up, the content is lost.
> Shouldn't the printed stuff remain there? This is an annoyance for
> when I, for example, 'ls' a folder, open an image that I found inside
> so dwm automatically tile st and the image, and then I close the
> image. Now the st window will not show all the content of the folder
> from when I did 'ls'. The files/folders previously printed that upon
> resize were covered are now gone and I have to 'ls' again.

I think xterm does this as well. Your best bet is probably to use tmux
or something similar. You could make a dwm hotkey to run "st -e tmux" or
something.

> 3- the delkey patch[0] isn't working for me. As I understand it should
> make 'Delete' erase the current the highlighted character, but it does
> nothing. All I did was clone the repo and apply the patch (which is
> simple enough). Are there any users successfully using this patch?
> What could I have done wrong?

I use the delkey patch as well. It does not make the DEL key magically
work; it just changes the keysyms of backspace and DEL, so backspace
is ^H instead of ^?, etc. You have to setup your shell to properly
handle the delete key. In my .zshrc, I use this snippet:

case $TERM in
        *xterm*|rxvt|(dt|k|E)term) bindkey '^[[3~' delete-char
                ;;
        st*) bindkey '^?' delete-char
                ;;
esac

#make DEL key work
case $TERM in
  *xterm*|rxvt|(dt|k|E)term|st*)
        function zle-line-init () { echoti smkx }
        function zle-line-finish () { echoti rmkx }
        zle -N zle-line-init
        zle -N zle-line-finish
          ;;
esac

I don't know exactly how this works... I just lifted it from the net
somewhere and tweaked it a bit. Something about putting the terminal
into application mode? I try to understand virtual terminal emulation,
but in the end I just rely on other people who are better at it than I.

If you use a non-zsh shell, you'll probably have to do something
similar.

--
Matt Boswell