Re: [dev] [ANNOUNCE] vis-0.1: first release of a vim-like editor

From: Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 15:31:21 +0100

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 10:14:25PM -0800, Eric Pruitt wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 04:56:37PM +0100, Marc André Tanner wrote:
> > Did you (or anyone else) try it? First impressions? Which features did
> > you miss the most?
>
> I used Vis a while back when the project was still in its infancy, but I
> can't compile the current release without fetching tarballs manually
> (which I have been too lazy to do).

You may try "make local" to fetch & compile libtermkey and lua.
Or even "make standalone" to build a self contained binary statically
linked against musl.

> You're using libtermkey which is
> dead according to the project's own page and no longer packaged by my
> Linux distro (Debian) as a result

This came up before[0]. libtermkey offers a sensible API and is reasonably
simple (it consists of ~3 C files). The last release was in October and
the latest commit 18 days ago. The replacement library, intended to provide
similar functionality to curses, is not ready yet. Also at least Debian
testing and unstable seem to have it packaged[1].

> and at the same time, the project
> requires Lua 5.2+ which is too new to be in the latest Debian release.

Supporting Lua 5.1 might be interesting because it is the last release
fully supported by luajit. However if we conclude this is not worth the
effort then depending on the latest Lua release 5.3 might make sense ...

[0] https://github.com/martanne/vis/issues/79
[1] https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libtermkey&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all

--
 Marc André Tanner >< http://www.brain-dump.org/ >< GPG key: 10C93617