Re: [dev] another text user interface for sam

From: Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 21:35:21 +0100

On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 05:41:00PM +0000, Connor Lane Smith wrote:
> On 1 March 2016 at 17:12, Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org> wrote:
> > All commands of a group should operate on the original state of the text.
>
> Is that strictly necessary? I know that's how sam and acme behave, but

I haven't yet made my mind up. It obviously changes the semantics of the
command language.

> series of commands outside those {} blocks occur in sequence (not all
> performing on the original text), and to be honest that seems like it
> might be more intuitive.

As an example, swapping two words with

 ,x[a-zA-Z]+/{
  g/fred/ v/...../ c/jim/
  g/jim/ v/..../ c/fred/
 }

which is mentioned in both the sam tutorial and the cheatsheet would
no longer work.

> It would also be much easier to implement.

Yes, I agree.

--
 Marc André Tanner >< http://www.brain-dump.org/ >< GPG key: 10C93617