Re: [dev] another text user interface for sam

From: Maxime Coste <frrrwww_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 10:40:51 +0000

On Wed, Mar 02, 2016 at 10:14:48AM +0000, Raphaël Proust wrote:
> On 1 March 2016 at 17:12, Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org> wrote:
> > I think structural regexp will integrate nicely with multiple selections.
> >
> > […]
>
> Yes! Interactive structural regexp would definitely be a Killer
> Feature™ IMO. I would probably use an editor like that almost
> exclusively.

That has been provided by Kakoune for a looong time, you get structural
regex interactively as you can subselect matches in current selections,
keep only selections matching/not matching a regex, and push/pop a set
of selections.

> On 1 March 2016 at 20:35, Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Is that strictly necessary? I know that's how sam and acme behave, but
> >
> > I haven't yet made my mind up. It obviously changes the semantics of the
> > command language.
>
> Why not have both? A parallel grouping mechanism ({} to keep
> compatibility with sam) and a sequential one ([], or <>, or (), or
> whatever).

That can be nicely implemented interactively by just providing a save/restore
selections mechanism. parallel grouping is then just a sequential list of
commands where you occasionally recall the initial set of selections.

Cheers,

Maxime.