Re: [dev] Lessons Learned from 30 Years of MINIX

From: robin <robin.a.t.pedersen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 13:47:27 +0100

On Fri, Mar 04, 2016 at 11:47:48PM +0100, FRIGN wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 14:43:40 -0500
> Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu> wrote:
>
> > The connection to suckless is that the author has strong minimalist and
> > anti-bloat tendencies.
>
> when did this turn into a Hacker News here?
>
> --
> FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>

It seems relevant to me. Suckless tries to replace sucky software and its worth
a debate wether microkernels are less sucky.

Microkernels defenitely resonates with the unix philosophy "do one thing and
do it well".
Having everything, except FUSE and such, in the kernel is doing more than
one thing.

To haphazardly opt for linux isnt good. Think about how it uses gnu
extensions to C instead of following standards.
Linux built with 'allnoconfig', a kernel that does nothing, takes 516K.
You can also compare the number of system calls in linux vs plan9.