[dev] a few questions about watch in ubase

From: Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 14:04:43 -0400

Please excuse me if these questions are rudimentary. I am using Debian
Stable.

Why is watch linked with the crypt library?
   cc -s -o watch watch.o libutil.a -lcrypt
It does not seem to need it.

watch uses "\x1b[2J\x1b[H" to clear the screen, which are the two
control codes Erase Screen and Cursor Home. These seem to be ANSI
escape control codes.

Is it appropriate to use ANSI escape codes in the program rather than
using something like tput or terminfo, or to just execute the "clear"
command? Are the escape codes portable?