Re: [dev] [question] Does bash suck?

From: Mattias Andrée <maandree_AT_kth.se>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 15:13:51 +0200

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 10:03:29 -0300
Marc Collin <marc.collin7_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
> Recently a user from suckless told me that bash sucks,
> but before I could ask why he went offline.
> I tried looking at suckless.org page about software that
> sucks, but couldn't find anything about bash.
> I can imagine why it sucks - no portability! #/bin/sh
> should be enough for everyone. Is that it or is something
> else to the matter? Maybe an entry to suckless.org suck
> page could be good to clarify things and also warn new
> users. Best wishes.

To quote Bash's man page: it's too big and too slow.
I would also prefer if Bash did not implement a bunch
of built-in commands that is already found in the
system base. The only command that requires a built-in
version is test, because it implements a few flags
that requires that it is implemented in the shell.
And sadly, Bash's test is very buggy and is incompatible
with GNU coreutils's test.
I do not think it is an issue that it implements more
stuff than sh, some of these features are really useful.