Re: [dev] [question] Does bash suck?

From: Lee Fallat <ircsurfer33_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 13:47:57 -0400

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 1:09 PM, Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu> wrote:
> On 04/23/2016 09:38 AM, Kamil CholewiƄski wrote:
>>
>> I don't like rc since there are two incompatible implementations, one is
>> the real thing and the other is actually usable for interactive use.
>

> I like Plan 9's rc a lot, for scripting. I don't think it sucks at all. I
> think it is good and more elegant than /bin/sh. It can be obtained via
> 9base [1] or Plan 9 Port [2]. I don't use it interactively though due to
> its lack of history.
>
> Indeed there is another implementation of rc [3] that is better to use
> interactively (since it has history), but it is incompatible with Plan 9 rc,
> unfortunately, and the author is not interested in changing it to be
> compatible [4]. The difference is just one item of syntax, but it's enough
> to be a major incompatibility.
>
> I use fish interactively. It probably sucks as far as its SLOC, but I like
> it anyway.
>
> [1] http://tools.suckless.org/9base
> [2] https://github.com/9fans/plan9port
> [3] https://github.com/rakitzis/rc
> [4] https://github.com/rakitzis/rc/issues/19

There are shell wrappers around scripting languages, like Python's
piper. Surely there is something similar for lisp-like languages or
"suckless" scripting languages (AFAIK, only C is acceptable here, with
rc coming to the closest thing to a real scripting that's acceptable).

If I had things my way, we could use any language we want, but
standard data structures that can be passed between programs. IIRC,
this exists out there too.