Re: [dev] Linux distros that don't suck too too much

From: Teodoro Santoni <asbrasbra_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 13:11:06 +0200

Hi,

> Hi folks,
>
> A few nights ago my too-expensive laptop met with too-cheap wine and now
> it is a far-too-expensive brick. As it's therefore time for me to
> install a new OS on a new laptop, I was wondering what people would
> recommend. I've been using Debian Stable for years now, which while it
> sucks does work well enough that I don't have to think about it very
> much, so I can do more interesting things with my time. But particularly
> after reading a few good articles about issues with debian [0] [1] I
> find myself wondering if there's a better option out there. A rolling
> release distribution would be fine with me, but only if it didn't break
> often at all; I enjoyed using Gentoo years ago when I was a student, but
> keeping it working took a lot of time that I do not want to dedicate to
> keeping a working system these days. I'd like to try something like
> morpheus [2], but I suspect that would take quite a lot of time and
> energy to get going and maintain.

I've used Void Linux for some times now.
The only thing that breaks sometimes it's the package manager
and its build tree. But 99% of the time it turns up without any intervention.
More on it: it doesn't seem so shitty when you use it (I find it
better than apt),
but uses xml files (.plist) as package database.
If you'll give up with Gentoo, i recommend it.