Re: [dev] pledge(2) patches

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2016 22:31:20 +0200

On Sun, 5 Jun 2016 13:11:15 -0700
Ben Woolley <tautolog_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Ben,

> Regarding #2, the usage stats of openbsd should be joined with the
> usage stats of st. I don't know the answer, but I am guessing not
> insignificant, especially since an openbsd user was driven to do it
> already. And it might increase now that it has pledge support.
> Terminals accept arbitrary input, so pledge support could be a very
> desirable and well-suited feature.

this is a very good point I didn't think of beforehand. In this
regard, we might want to think about an option, however, why not
do it like this?

#ifndef __OpenBSD__
int pledge(const char *promises, const char *paths[]) { return 0; }
#endif

This way, we can call it easily in the code without troubles.
I admittedly am a huge supporter of pledge() and would be happy
to see it included in suckless tools. However, there always will
remain a bad aftertaste given it's an OS-dependent solution.
However, to be fair, I think OpenBSD is the best OS out there.

Cheers

FRIGN

--
FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>