[dev] [discussion] Cooperation between terminal and graphical programs

From: Marc Collin <marc.collin7_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 10:48:47 -0300

Hey suckless.
How's everyone doing on this weekend?

Yesterday I came across a video about Plan 9 [0] and something got my attention.
When the user opens a graphical program from the terminal, no new
window is created. Instead, the graphical program "takes over" the
terminal.
This made me realize how inconsistent standard Linux is. If you open a
curses program from the terminal for example, the curses program takes
over. But if you open an Xlib program for example, a new window
instance is created.
In Plan 9, both text and graphical programs take over.

Is there any way to get this behavior on standard Linux with suckless
tools (dwm, st, etc)?

Thanks.

[0] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a02IUvg-js