Re: [dev] [discussion] Cooperation between terminal and graphical programs

From: Henrique N. Lengler <henriqueleng_AT_openmailbox.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 03:40:52 -0300

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 04:05:28PM +0200, Mattias Andrée wrote:
> I believe this topic has been discuss before.
> Perhaps not on the mailing list, but it should
> be somewhere to find.
>
> It should be possible, put it requires that
> both the terminal and the graphical program
> is written especially to support it. Perhaps
> this is a feature we should push Wayland to
> standardise. I don't think there is any X
> applications that does support this.
>

> On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 10:48:47 -0300
> Marc Collin <marc.collin7_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey suckless.
> > How's everyone doing on this weekend?
> >
> > Yesterday I came across a video about Plan 9 [0] and
> > something got my attention. When the user opens a
> > graphical program from the terminal, no new window is
> > created. Instead, the graphical program "takes over" the
> > terminal. This made me realize how inconsistent standard
> > Linux is. If you open a curses program from the terminal
> > for example, the curses program takes over. But if you
> > open an Xlib program for example, a new window instance
> > is created. In Plan 9, both text and graphical programs
> > take over.
> >
> > Is there any way to get this behavior on standard Linux
> > with suckless tools (dwm, st, etc)?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > [0] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a02IUvg-js

If you see how plan 9 works at all you might end up with a lot of good ideas.

I was trying to implement the way plan9 detects links, manpages, files
(with proper line number) that is on the screen. I thought first about
implementing this on less, but I would like to have in the whole text session at
al. Luckily I found [externalpipe](http://st.suckless.org/patches/externalpipe),
I just need to implement manpage detecting on a script like xurl.

At least we are free to implement any feature in
your system we want, but it would be way better if it was consistent by default.

Regards,

Henrique N. Lengler