[dev] Proper window type for dwm and dmenu

From: Jan Christoph Ebersbach <jceb_AT_e-jc.de>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 19:43:26 +0200

Hi,

I just stumbled upon the compositor compton and came across this wiki
page that describes that shadows don't work properly in combination with
dwm and dmenu:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Compton#dwm_.26_dmenu The reason
for this is that _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE and _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DESKTOP
aren't set for the bar/menu that is drawn.

The closest I could get in my research was
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.misc.suckless/7688. dwm implements
_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE for client windows.

Is there a specific reason for not implementing _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE for
dwm and dmenu other than that nobody did it so far? I think it's worth
the issue because a compositor greatly improves window tearing and it
would make the tools more compatible to the expected behavior.

Btw, here is another issue related to compositors that might be worth
considering again: http://lists.suckless.org/dev/1505/26735.html

Jan Christoph
--
Jan Christoph Ebersbach
I didn’t want some petty, inferior brand of righteousness that comes