Re: [dev] New Suckless computer language?

From: Daniel V <daniel.viksporre_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 05:17:26 +0200

Ok!

The latest compiler written in C, and outputs byte code that can run in the VM.

Before I let it out there, I have a few things I would like to fix
first, like output of x86 binaries. And I like to split the project to
several projects, so the language, the compiler, and the VM has
separate names, so it's easier to document and talk about.

Do any one know of a C compiler that can out output snippets of
machine code, for a wide range of CPU:s ? I'm primarily thinking of
x86, x64, ARM, ARM-thumb.

The thing that is stopping me to make machine code output, is that I
have been to lazy to make the effort, to write a ELF head generator
for the binaries.

The language is a system language. And It's made to make kernel calls directly.

And it compiles fast. It takes somewhere between 10 to 30 instructions
to compile each token, plus the time to read in the text and tokenize
it.

The syntax is inspired by C, but it's much clearer what type of
machine code it will generate.

The benefit is probably that is It's super small codebase (in about
300-500 lines of code for a basic compiler functionality), no extra
library dependencies, easy to understand, easy to extend and compiles
super fast, and easy to combine with whatever you want. It was
originally made as a generic language to change the compiler fast, to
match different instruction set, that you want to use. So it was made
to be a language, that could be changed on the fly when you make new
instructions to a VM or a Soft Core for an FPGA.

So it's made to save time in development, and give a higher
understanding on what exactly is done. Giving more brain power left,
to solve actual problems.

SCC looks interesting thou.

// Daniel V.