Re: [dev] Wayland vs X11

From: Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 09:41:33 +0200

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 11:04 PM, Mattias Andrée <maandree_AT_kth.se> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 22:54:43 +0200
> Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 02, 2016 at 10:16:06PM +0200, FRIGN wrote:
>> > On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 22:08:08 +0200
>> > Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> The Wayland protocol deals with input as well so as long
>> as the clients speak it, they are golden. libinput is
>> supposed to make input handling uniform on all Wayland
>> compositors and can also be used on X11. I am not sure
>> whether Joysticks/gamepads are handled in it though.
>
> They are. Side-note: libinput's documentation is horrible.
> (It is far from along in this aspect in the category of
> libraries for graphical environments (and audio).)

haha, that's probably the reason I wasn't sure. I was trying to find
info about handling joysticks/gamepads in libinput's documentation but
couldn't find anything.

> I'm not quite sure that the display server should be
> responsible for joysticks &c. It feels like something
> individual applications that use them should access
> directly via for example libinput.

It seems to me that's what they do by using cross-platform game dev
libraries like SDL[0] or SFML[1]. I have to assume that they would
completely bypass the Wayland compositor that way.

>> > And even clients have to do their own
>> > font-antialiasing. Sounds like a lot of fun! Please
>> > stop repeating the propaganda spread on the web,
>> > Wayland is not DoA without reason, and there is also a
>> > reason why nobody uses it nowadays other than to play
>> > around with it. It's a
>>
>> The rumors of its death are greatly exaggerated...
>> Sailfish OS has been using Wayland from the start and
>
> Keep in mind that Sailfish OS is not a desktop OS,
> it requirements are limited.

They are definitely different but I am not sure they are limited. I
have wanted to play around with Sailfish OS for a long time but the
"UX" library bits are all proprietary. Sucks.

[0] https://www.libsdl.org/
[1] http://www.sfml-dev.org/