Re: [dev] [sxiv] Discussion

From: Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 21:51:54 +0200

On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 09:39:47PM +0200, Bert Münnich wrote:
> On 09.08.16, Silvan Jegen wrote:
> > If the conversion tools are already written (I wasn't sure this was
> > the case already) then all that's left to simplify sxiv would be to
> > make it speak only farbfeld and then to wrap it up in a shell script
> > (?) that converts all arguments to temporary farbfeld files and passes
> > them to sxiv.
>
> There's already lel[0] that does just this. But sxiv is not only an
> image viewer. I heavily use it to organize my image library, e.g.

Nice, I will have to look into that one!

> visually selecting files to import from a huge collection of freshly
> taken photos or performing simple editing tasks like rotating--lossless
> in case of JPEG--and tagging images with the external key-handler.
> Using temporary farbfeld files as input would not make this easier.

I see. That use case may make it harder to use farbfeld unless you want
to change your whole image collection to this format. Theoretically,
you could just use farbfeld as the intermediate image format to apply the
changes to and then convert the changed image back to the original format.

Cheers,

Silvan