Re: [dev] s - suckless shell

From: Ben Woolley <tautolog_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2016 11:42:22 -0700

> On Aug 13, 2016, at 4:31 AM, Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com> wrote:
>
> IO redirection being done by separate programs, though, seems like a
> wrong decision. Streaming the data through a separate process is
> considerably less efficient than just setting a file descriptor to an
> open file, and not always equivalent in behaviour either. For example,
> `tty < $TTY` is obviously very different to `cat $TTY | tty`. In my
> opinion this is a bug in your design, and needs to be fixed.

You make a good point about the effect, but I don't consider it a design flaw but a design effect. The same argument could be made for processes like grep. It would be much more efficient as a built-in, but it isn't a big deal most of the time. If we really want performance, we use another tool with built-in RE. Same case here: if I need to redirect gigabytes, I can use sh for that command.

There are ways to speed it up using zero-copy interfaces from the OS, but people don't even do that with grep because if you are using shell, you are already trading development time for efficiency.